Thursday, February 27, 2014

We Are DAR

I first heard about We Are DAR when I taught at O’More College of Design. The school had paired with this program to create aDARable, a children’s clothing line hand-stitched by women in Ti Bouk, Haiti. The empowerment of these ten Haitian women, given this impactful chance to provide for their families, will transform their community, and beyond! 


About nine months after seeing this line introduced on the runway, I was talking to my dad about the different non-profits we wanted to work with in 2014. He told me he had emailed Martha, the founder of aDARable, and she needed a fundraising miracle.

Martha’s side of the story is far more emotional. She explains she had just become overwhelmed with worry about where the necessary funds to start out 2014 would come from. As she prayed, her phone pinged. That ping was my dad’s email, “touching base” and wondering how the aDARable project was going.

Through requesting donations and introducing Martha to others who have a heart for supporting hard-working women in other countries, my dad and I were able to help We Are DAR through this challenging financial time.

This is no praise to us. How did my dad know to send a random email to Martha, just as she prayed for help? We are not miracle workers, but we can be the answer to another’s prayer—great or small.

God is love; when we show love, we bond with God, and He bonds with us…we are to be reflections of our compassionate Creator to this world (1 John 4:16-17). When we begin to open our hearts to how we can Live the Blessing, God will give us directions on how we can show love and reflect His greatness, not our own.


To read more about We Are DAR, visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment